Minnesotans are funny creatures. The winter was ridiculously long and hard. I understand that as much as anyone. But now that the weather has turned all suddenly summer people are really coming ALIVE. Everything is happening, everywhere. Outdoor block parties at big venues, farmers’ markets, street fairs, all the music & movie series in parks. And fashion DON’Ts offending innocent eyeballs everywhere. I took a break from unpacking on Memorial Day to drive my sun out to ValleyFair. It was crowded with (mostly) pale Minnesotan flesh as far as the eye could see. I don’t consider myself prudish but somewhere along the way I became significantly more practical. I saw teenagers and adults alike wearing items that just don’t seem safe at an amusement park. Had to bite my tongue to keep from saying “you’re going to twist your ankle in those sandals! That dangling belly button jewelry is going to get caught on one of the rides! Those extreme short shorts allow far too much of your flesh to come in contact with the seats that others will be sweating on!” But I guess we’ll need to get desensitized to that, as we’ve got unlimited Gold passes for the 2014 season. And I took a long shower to decontaminate as soon as we got home.
Five interesting music-related things:
- One of the best trips I’ve ever taken was to upstate New York for All Tomorrows Parties, curated by My Bloody Valentine. It was the most magical weekend with friends. The venue/resort was in disrepair then but nothing like these photos. RIP Kutshers: A Last Illicit Look Inside The Crumbling Kutsher’s Resort Before It’s Razed
- My boyfriend and I have seen Ed Schrader’s Music Beat twice. The first time early on in our relationship, so I have a very specific association with the band. But I would love them anyhow. Their new release, Party Jail, is out now. Stream it here. You’ll be glad you did.
- This will be wonderful fun. An evening program of adventurous improvised live music at the Khyber Pass Cafe every Thursday at 9, beginning June 12th. Curated by amazing local musicians Davu Seru, Adam Linz, Milo Fine, and Paul Metzger.
- Hey, I was at this! And it was pretty great. “Underground music takes center stage this summer“
- I first learned about Moondog a few years ago. What a character, and an amazing musician. And I was more than happy to contribute to a kickstarter to make the first movie about him. More about The Viking of 6th Avenue here.
There’s light at the end of the tunnel finally. Tomorrow we turn over the keys for our old apartment. But it is down to the wire. I took the day off from work to further purge stuff from the old place and haul two car loads of it to the new one. My boyfriend has been too busy with work to help, which sucks, but he did hire a company to clean the danged place up for us. They are doing our dirty work there right now. I was embarrassed to leave them with our filthy fridge but that’s what they get paid for, I guess.