Just as I’m about to embark on yet another trip utilizing AirBnB they’ve freaking overhauled their branding and their new logo is…icky. As Gizmodo puts it: The New Airbnb Logo Is a Sexual Rorschach Test For Our Time. So many tech nerds are taking pot shots at it today. Like “New Airbnb Logo Wants You To Draw It Like One Of Your French Logos” and the sight gags in this one: AirBnB Reveals Its New Logo Mockups. Why’d they have to go and mess with a perfectly ok thing? Speaking of parodies, Weird Al Yankovic is firing on all of his funny cylinders. I am particularly enjoying his take on Royals called FOIL.
Five good things for mid-week:
- Generally I stay home on Halloween. It seems like otherwise reasonable adults go out and drink to excess and make others around them miserable or put them in danger. But enter Slowdive. I will have to venture to the warehouse district that night for what promises to be an amazing show.
- A Game as Literary Tutorial Dungeons & Dragons Has Influenced a Generation of Writers
- “The relatively new cover photo feature in Facebook has provided an expansive template for creative individuals to express themselves. Enter Nikki, a Reddit user who has figured out how to insert herself into popular television shows and movies by masterfully interplaying her Facebook cover photo with her profile picture.
- Oh Japan. Lighten up! Don’t be so weirded out by lady bits. “Japanese Artist Arrested After Turning 3D Rendering of Her Vagina Into a Kayak” Would officials have flipped out if a male artist had done the same with his penis?
- My latest 5-minute crush, artist David Jablow. “These relics were intended for bawdy scrawlings, but Jablow takes them to a new level ENTIRELY” So good.
Less than a week until I see my son again. Last time we were in Seattle we made due with public transportation but it wasn’t always convenient or happy-making. A couple of times we broke down and made use of Uber cars. So I had kinda sorta resigned myself to renting a car but today I learned about a major highway closure while we’re there which makes that option less appealing. Can’t win. But I will be able to drive us to the LASER DOME. And that’s pretty cool.