My Monday and Tuesday were TOO MUCH. And ALL AT ONCE sort of days. Usually when March rolls around we Minnesotans begin feeling more hopeful. Sadly we’ve still experiencing sub-zero temperatures. Monday was a mercury milestone: Twin Cities records 50th subzero day this season. Heaped atop the weather woes I have a laundry list of BIG LIFE STUFF. If each item were incoming individually it would feel more manageable. But the combo punches are crushing me. Deep breath. Today is a new day. The sun is shining. The temps are warming up. I saw the still-fabulous Cibo Matto and Buffalo Daughter last night at the Turf Club. Kim Gordon re-tweeted me (my pics from last week’s Body/Head show). And we are just over three weeks from our Spring Break trip out of town. Working for vacation. Oh yes.
Five good things:
- First seen last week, this silliness made me smile more than it should have: “Freezing Japanese Guy Uses A Sweater To Turn Himself Into A Turkey“
- YES! Puddles Pity Party, The Sad Clown With The Golden Voice, Is Back With A Cover Of Lorde’s ‘Team’. I generally suffer from coulrophobia but I’ve overcome my fears for this clown.
- In local Kickstarter news, the project to bring a soft serve ice cream machine to the beach at Sandcastle, was fully backed! Hopefully Asase Yaa’s attempts will meet with similar success. I have enjoyed their Ghanaian / West African food many times over the years, at festivals and other events, and hope to do so again in a permanent restaurant location.
- I thought this was pretty neat: Obama Meets With YouTube Advisors On How To Reach Online Audiences
- Recently I attended and enjoyed the She’s Geeky UNconference, despite a blizzard trying to get in my way. More on that another time. But also related to women in STEM this is an excellent mentorship opportunity for any aspiring writers out there. Deadline is March 21st, 2014.
Today is Ash Wednesday. Yes, an attempt was made to raise me Catholic as a young’n. It didn’t take. That’s not the reason I know what day it is. It’s because of the Horror for the Holidays movie series and their special screening of Army of Darkness at the Mall of America. Starring the man with the chin that could kill, Bruce Campbell, as Ash. So dreamy.