Last week when I returned to Seattle I still had my ORCA card in my wallet. And I planned to use it. But wound up renting a sweet Toyota Yaris instead. Reliable cars really are the most convenient thing. Now home my bad car karma continues. Tuesday my mechanic fixed my car and I drove it away without incident. Yesterday I worked from home but ran an errand in the afternoon. On the way back my car flipped out. Flashing check engine light, bad smell of unburned gasoline, stalling. Thankfully I hadn’t gone too far. It was all side streets. And my boyfriend was able to have AAA tow it back to my mechanic. This morning I took the city bus to work. It was a straight shot on one bus, with no transfers. But the entire journey took a full hour. And along the way I saw some strange things. Like a city employee downtown trying to sweep an injured bat off of the sidewalk on Hennepin. Hmm.
Five items of note:
- Last month Uber rolled out special Optimus Prime truck in select cities. Alas, Minneapolis doesn’t seem to be on the list.
- My son and I went on a tour of the Theo Chocolate Factory last week. So it’s particularly interesting to see this video now: Cocoa farmers trying chocolate for the first time is a must watch
- There’s a Bjork Exhibition to Be Held at Museum of Modern Art in 2015. The museum will also premiere a new 3-D fusion of film and music by the Icelandic artist.
- So I’m a fan of the film Constantine, even though it differs a great deal from the comic it is based on. Yes, there’s Keanu but there’s also TILDA SWINTON. Swoon. Anyhow, it turns out NBC is now doing a series and the trailer looks much truer to the comic book. I’ll be watching.
- I know we’re all Click-Baited out (I do enjoy The Onion’s parody, Clickhole). But they still get me once in a while. Like this “33 Pictures Taken at Just the Right Moment.” There are some great captures in there.
So my automobile is failing. But I’m also experiencing some parenting fails. Next month my son goes on another, shorter trip to Seattle with family. Not only will he be missing the Internet Cat Video Festival, which is tragic enough, his flight gets in just hours after the open house/orientation at his new high school. Smooth move, mom. And this was after I paid money to reschedule his original flight that was due to bring him home the day *after* school starts. Because Minneapolis schools start before Labor Day, not after.