I feel like it would take until next year for me to catch up with the coverage of the 2012 Summer Olympics. I haven’t even seen the opening ceremonies yet! I’ve been too busy with trip planning mode. And we have no cable service or any sort of television reception to speak of. I have seen some excellent photos though.
Five good things for this pre-vacation Monday:
- Tied in with the Olympics, this looks rad: Sacrilege is a life-size replica of Stonehenge made as a fully operational bouncy castle.
- One thing I’m especially excited to see in Los Angeles? Bruce White’s “Velvet Paintings For Your Inner Nerd“
- We all have our nerdy obsessions and fixations and passions. I have a friend who is passionate about Pyrex and the collecting of said dishware. I can’t claim to understand this. But I do appreciate this Pyrex tattoo she came across.
- France’s Culture Ministry has confirmed that award-winning French filmmaker Chris Marker has died, one day after his 91st birthday. Watch his short film La jetée (it was a big inspiration for Terry Gilliam’s Twelve Monkeys).
- On a happier note…you may have seen the Mechanical Kitty Coin Bank from ThinkGeek, the Japanese novelty where a coin is placed on a box and a kitty hiding in that box puts its paw up to grab the coin. Now, a video has surfaced from Japan that shows a kitty in real-life snatching coins from the top of a box and yes, it’s just as cute as you imagine.
Speaking of cardboard contraptions…I do hope we can get to Caine’s Arcade on this trip. I’ll be traveling with my son and my boyfriend. I’ve been to Los Angeles many times before, but not with either of them. I’m attempting to line up visits to places all three of us may enjoy. Like Giant Robot, Griffith Observatory, the La Brea tar pits, LACMA and the Fairfax Farmers Market. But I’m open to any other suggestions for the Los Angeles / Pasadena area!