We’ve had a rough start to the week, and year. Seems to have become an annual tradition. 2006? My son Felix was stillborn. 2007? My ex-husband moved out and my cat died. 2008? Projectile vomiting (with no alcohol involved). 2009? A broken picture window. 2010? An injured appendage. This time around it’s my potentially broken sewer main. Backing up into the basement. With POOP. And me being too broke to do anything about it until payday. Which, thankfully, is this Friday. Until then we’re using as little water at home as possible. I even showered at work today. I feel lucky to have that option.
Let’s roll with five good things for the first hump day of 2011:
- Pygmy goats at play at Zooborns. So so cute.
- Sifteo’s big tech in a little package: “Each cube packs a full color LCD, a 3D motion sensor, wireless communication, a peppy CPU and more. Your computer connects to the cubes via the included Sifteo USB wireless link.”
- Ridiculously adorable duet with a father and his young daughter. It’ll make you melt. And an entirely different sort of music…made by a Tesla coil, at dorkbot. That could also make you melt, possibly, but in a much more dangerous way.
- Super excited about the start of series 3 of Being Human, but wow, this promo photo looks really badly photoshopped and everyone’s got awful hair. What gives?
- Thanks to Pinterest I came across The Gamine’s Art/Lifestyle blog (which is funny, because gamine was one of my early internet era handles). And was also reminded about Core 77’s design-y blog.
In news of the good, the kiddo and I are feeling mostly recovered from last week’s illness. We may be pushing our luck with some after dark sledding tonight but it’s with friends and we could use some happy fun times. Even if they are to be had on some cold cold hills. Rumor has it there may be a flask of something for the grown-ups to warm up with. And I’ll be bringing hot cocoa for the lad.