Skip to content

Atmospheric Convulsions

This week has been full of minor nuisances. Insignificant in the big picture, but they add up. Like a thousand tiny paper cuts. I thought the weekend ought to offer some reprieve, but not so much. Last night I had an impromptu gathering at my house. It ended with carbon monoxide poisoning. We noticed a strange odor coming from the basement. A brave friend went down to check. The boiler’s pilot light was still on. I called Xcel and they dispatched a technician who turned the boiler off, helped me air out the house and didn’t leave until the numbers had dropped to safe levels. I am happy the little man and I are alive and relatively unharmed, but now my house is cold and my nerves are shot.

Five items of interest:

  • Thursday the Minneapolis Fire Department evacuated my office. It was minor, thankfully, but stinky. After we were allowed back in a co-worker came up with a fire playlist.
  • This article, Why I Let My 9-Year-Old Ride the Subway Alone, was a fascinating read. And sure, it made me a little uneasy, but I totally see the author’s point. And she has a neurotypical child. The little man? I don’t even let him cross the street alone yet, because of his poor impulse control. The new psychologist correctly characterized him as “naive and vulnerable” - which makes me sad, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.
  • Wired’s night photo contest. Neat stuff.
  • Tonight I finally get to see Caribou, at the Triple Rock.
  • I hope people think of more than just (wo)man bites dog when they think of local artist Amy Rice. Her artwork is amazing! And she’s having an art reception tomorrow, at Barbette.
positively soaked


  1. em wrote:

    God, first there’s a fire, then carbon monoxide? What the flip? Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? I’m sure you do. Still! Frightening.

    Monday, April 14, 2008 at 10:21 am | Permalink
  2. Seriously. UGH.

    Friday night my carbon monoxide detector’s name was Dave. What he was smelling was the small amount of gas that the boiler wasn’t burning off, because it was malfunctioning. Now I have some actual, functioning detectors. And they were still detecting carbon monoxide yesterday so we didn’t sleep in the house last night. Instead I opened all the windows and headed for the ex’s place.

    Big fun!

    Monday, April 14, 2008 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *