Now that it is October I feel I can officially get excited about Halloween. My son’s costume has been in the works for months and I finally thought of a costume idea for myself. You see, I, myself, am strange and unusual. And I will be dressing up as goth teen photographer Lydia Deetz, from Tim Burton’s Beetlejuice. Naturally I already have most of the things needed for her outfit. And we’ll host our annual pumpkin carving party the weekend before Halloween. I gotta say, the idea of this Halloween camp-in overnight, at the Science Museum of Minnesota, is sort of tempting but there’s too much going on that weekend.
Five other good things:
- Seriously. This thing. It’s the best thing. “Tim and Eric” directed this lightbulb ad for GE, starring Jeff Goldblum, and it’s awesome
- Singer/songwriter Steve Gunn hadn’t really been on my radar. But recently I saw him perform at the Turf Club. And now NPR is streaming a preview of his upcoming release, Way Out Weather. And it is just lovely. He also did an NPR Tiny Desk Concert.
- Save the date! May 7–8, 2015 Queers & Comics, an LGBT Cartoonists’ Conference will be held in NYC at the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies (CLAGS). An official Call for Proposals will be distributed soon. Neat.
- This was amusing, but friends who have traveled to Ireland have confirmed they have their own equally trashy junk foods. Watch Irish People Taste American Junk Food for the First Time: ‘I don’t think anything that blue could be nutritious.’
- Equal parts ridiculous and stressful, a supercut of movie badasses telling people to “let her go”
What an odd day. Congressman Keith Ellison randomly dropped by my workplace. That was neat and I managed to snap off a few photos of his visit. Before my main camera died. And I don’t just mean the battery ran out of juice. I’m talking catastrophic failure. And I’ve got another wedding to shoot in a few days. Naturally. A photographer friend asked if I had any idea what my shutter count is for my Canon 5d Mark ii. I admitted that I don’t know (nor can I find out at the moment) but I’m sure it’s ridiculously high. I plan to have this body repaired but it likely doesn’t have a whole lot of life left in it. So I bit the bullet and ordered a new Canon 6d body. From Amazon. Only realizing once I got to the checkout page that Amazon started collecting sales tax in Minnesota TODAY. Life can be a mean drunk that way.