Losing weight has become an expensive proposition. This is news to no one, I’m sure. But I’m already broke and racking it up! Threw $10 in the pot for the DietBet (gambling on my will power is sure to be a losing proposition), $30 for a scale, pre-ordered a FitBit Flex for $99, our YWCA membership is $76/month, $99 for a three-month trial membership at the MN Kali Group and yet more money for kickboxing gear. New shoes, kali sticks, boxing gloves, focus mitts, etc. At least I’m enjoying the kickboxing part. A lot. Though last Saturday’s class was grueling, when I was holding pads for an amazingly strong and tall amazon who beat the hell out of me. Tonight was another story. Only two of us showed up for class and there happened to be two instructors on hand. So we were able to work more intensely on form. Which included a lot of elbow strikes. And some grappling. Super awesome.
I sort of blew it on eating a little too well last weekend. Used two Groupons for dinner out - Friday night at Rice Paper and Saturday night at Fuji Ya. And the boyfriend treated me to brunch Sunday at Modern Times. Yesterday was all about salad. So thankful for my vegetable spiralizer. But then I went and used my avocados up to make this chocolate pudding again. That’s semi-healthy, right?
Five good things for this Tuesday:
- This Is What Happens When Advertising Is Done For Women, By Women. *snicker*
- I’ve gotten to visit the Grand Canyon just once. It was breathtaking but we didn’t have time to dawdle. One day I hope to go hiking there. Until then we can Explore the Grand Canyon on Google Maps. Super cool. Even further from home…I doubt I’ll ever make it to Siberia. But Werner Herzog ventured there for me. His latest documentary looks compelling. Happy People: A Year in the Taiga
- My son and I enjoyed our Cat Circus / Acro Cats experience a couple of years ago. Now they are looking for the right person to join them on the road. Could that be you?
- Oh My Bloody Valentine. Shaking things up, getting music nerds all aflutter. Springing a new surprise release on us after 22 years. I spent a good chunk of Sunday afternoon laying around absorbing it. And I like it. Speaking of MBV, skip to 23:20 to hear Shonen Knife covering them.
- I can’t stop thinking how warrior king Richard III could never have imagined his bones would one day be found in “a Leicester car park” - let alone what a car park is (or a car). Doesn’t seem very dignified but the DNA testing has confirmed it’s him.
This coming Saturday will mark the eighth and final show of the Outlet Performance Festival. The boyfriend and I have attended each, and I’ve been photographing them. It has come to seem natural that we should spend our Saturday evenings in the basement of Los Amigos. But after this weekend we’ll just have to find something else to do.