Yesterday I woke up at 3am and drove over 120 miles without really going anywhere. Just to and from a mechanic in a nearly rural area, while squeezing a full work day in the middle. I was feeling a little punchy much of the day. But now my car has all new struts. And I’m so glad I made the journey yesterday instead of today. Hello Minnesotan Spring blizzard! Activities planned for today have had to be rescheduled. Instead the boy and I bonded while shoveling the back-breakingly heavy, wet snow. Not the most exciting Spring break he’s ever had, to be sure. But we are fully stocked with groceries and he is currently entertaining himself with the aid of library books, Legos, sculpey clay and a little Netflix Instant.
Five good things:
- Two of my favorite musicians have hauntingly beautiful new songs online. One by Thurston Moore, and another from Bill Callahan. Love.
- Simply Stunning Aurora Video from Norway. Magical and somehow soothing.
- I’m old enough to remember life before cell phones. And this piece almost makes me want to give up mine. Sometimes I would like to be less instantly reachable… My Life Without A Cell Phone: An Amazing Tale Of Survival
- Some Spring I would like to travel to a city that has a large Holi festival, so I can get all covered in color too. These Festival of Colors photos from The Atlantic are gorgeous. The “Banishing the Nain Rouge” event in Detroit also looks like good times.
- Courtesy of Cosby Sweaters, “It is finally here. After seeing DirectTv’s commercial with the damn little mini-giraffe’s[sic] in it, I was hooked. Even thought about changing service just due to the fact those little animals were involved. Now they have really done it, I present to you. Petite Lap Giraffe.” Yes, I would like to “See what our Bull Vladimir do around farm!” If only it were real. Makes me smile anyway.
It may officially be Spring around these parts but you sure couldn’t tell. Thankfully I have an unexpected trip to Los Angeles right around the corner, to visit a friend. Hoping this means a return visit to my favorite LA bar, Little Cave. And this time I’ll chase down the infamous Grilled Cheese Truck, for real.