I’m not sure exactly when it happened, but I feel like my son has turned a corner with his reading skills. It’s flowing a lot better, even if he still complains bitterly about it. And he’s been scoring 100% on his spelling tests at school, though he says the tests are stupid. No idea where the boy gets his stubborn attitude problem from. Nope, no idea at all. Ahem. Anyhow, last night he made it through a good portion of an Encyclopedia Brown book without needing much assistance at all. But when I attempted to explain what an encyclopedia was? He interrupted me with a dismissive “yeah, yeah, like on the computer.” No, honey. Like information found in BOOKS. Kids these days.
Five good things for this fine Tuesday:
- Sleep with the fishes, in the perfect underwater loft. Just don’t let Aquaman in. He’s a moody punk.
- This Space Monkey PSA is oddly moving.
- Not entirely sure what’s happening here, with Darth Vader searching for his boss in Tokyo. Anyone care to shed some light on it?
- Oh dear. Looks like hoarding compulsions and librarians are two things that do not go well together.
- You simply must look at these mind-blowingly amazing film poster paintings from Ghana. It’s difficult to choose a favorite.
It would seem I’m taking a day trip up to Duluth next week. It’s been a while since I’ve been there, kid-free style. Much of the day will be spent digging through book stores and secondhand stores. And I may just give the sustainability-focused Sara’s Table a shot. Any other suggestions?