Moving right along…despite my silly leg injury and the glimpsing of Saturday’s unpleasantness, the weekend still had its moments. Good ones, I mean. Like vegan-friendly brunch at the Triple Rock with friends and our assorted kidlets. And visiting with an acquaintance at the coffee shop where he works, just before taking my son to the free Physics Force event. The weather has warmed up too, and yesterday my leg was feeling less gimpy, so we found free parking in Dinkytown and hoofed it over to Northrop Auditorium (the walking felt good at the time but today my cheeks are wind-chapped and my leg is all hurty again). Once the show got going the crowd, comprised of grade school aged kids, remained rapt. Even my own squirmy little man paid close attention to the professors and their antics. And I was thoroughly entertained too. Bonus? When we returned home the boy decided he wanted to watch Bill Nye the Science Guy episodes rather than some entirely mindless entertainment. This is a thing to be encouraged.
Five more good things:
- My friend Maria is coming to town very soon, for her family’s annual “Christmas in January” event. Parker and I are looking forward to seeing her for a spell.
- This Friday night I’ll be attending “Quiet, Please”: An Evening with Low at the Varsity Theater, with one of my wonderful lady friends…while her husband, also a dear friend, hangs out with my son. WIN-WIN!
- Saturday night I will be going out again - for a second night in a row! - to see The Chambermaids and Red Pens. At a newer venue that I have not yet experienced the weirdness of. Sauce Soundbar opened not long ago, in the location that used to house CyberX, the 90s era cybercafe. Should be interesting.
- The Art Shanties open this weekend! On Saturday, the 16th. We may be too busy for opening weekend but the weather will be perfect. Either way, we plan to visit more than once over the next few weeks.
- This is just hilarious…”Under The Influence: He-Man Available Artwork. Here’s a sample.”
And now for two items to be filed under “life’s little indignities” - 1) yesterday I discovered that my most favorite restaurant, NYC’s vegetarian Red Bamboo, will be no more after next month. The owner has changed his ways and has decided to overhaul the whole thing. He’s renaming it Poppa’s Place and adding meat to the menu. Boo hiss I say! 2) I am still going through Wii Fit withdrawal. I want to exercise dammit! But my knee and ankle aren’t in agreement with the rest of my body, and my brain. So I’d better be patient and stay put while the leg heals up. And eventually I’ll get back on track. I actually look forward to the day that dancing balance board character scolds me about my absence.